Friday 13 December 2013

Partying...

"Partying is such sweet sorrow.."- Robert Byrne

With Christmas around the corner, there are always numerous social functions cropping up. Some of these functions one knows about well in advance and some are last minute. I never like to go anywhere empty handed, I think my mom must have subconsciously drilled that into my head from a very young young age. Last minute engagements require a quick recipe that can be made last minute as well. Enter my "four-minute-brownie-pie" recipe. Just because you are crunched for time doesn't mean you can't wow people with a simple recipe that gives you just enough time to paint your nails or pluck your eyebrow (tee-hee).

This recipe belonged to a friend's great-aunt. I have jazzed it up with the addition of a pinch of coffee liquor and a pinch of espresso powder. I can't stress the awesome-ness of espresso powder enough. I know what you are thinking "but what if I hate coffee, blah, blah and blah". Well in my opinion there is nothing to hate about coffee, frankly it is nectar of gods. That said, espresso powder in small doses can go virtually un-detected by even the most persnickety of palates. It enhances the cocoa, leaving the baker and the taste-tester with an intense chocolate flavor that can not be achieved with classic dutch process cocoa on it's own. You can omit the Kahlua and espresso powder if you want but I urge you to live on the edge!

When I made this I chose not to frost it. Instead I pulled a quickie and put some snowflakes cut from cardboard down on the top of the cooled brownie. I then dusted with powdered sugar and removed the snow-flakes leaving a reverse print in the sugar. Looks great and takes thirty seconds!

Happy baking, partying and recovering the next day!
-m 


Four-Minute Brownie Pie

You will need...
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1/2 cup of softened butter or margarine
  • 1/2 cup of flour
  • 1/4 cup dutch process cocoa
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tbs Kahlua
  • 1/2- 1 tsp espresso powder (I used a full tsp)
Pre-heat oven to 350. Grease a pie pan or a spring form pan (9 inch), I used spring form because you can plate it for a party! In a mixer or with a hand mixer, combine all ingredients and mix with the paddle attachment for four whole minutes. Yep all ingredients, four minutes. No creaming of butter and sugar. Just slap it all in there and beat on med-high for four minutes. Pour into pan and bake 20-30 minutes- until centre doesn't jiggle when pan is moved. Allow to cool, expect it to sink in the middle. Powder with sugar and slice and serve. It will be chewy, rich and an instant hit!





No comments:

Post a Comment