Wednesday 8 January 2014

I Hope That in This Year To Come....

“I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes.

Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're Doing Something.

So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.

Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it.

Make your mistakes, next year and forever.”
-Neil Gaiman


Now that those formalities are out of the way I thought I would compile a list of all of my new (and old) favourite products of 2013. Some of which I love sooooo much my fellow friends and colleagues must have them drilled into their cute little heads.


Beauty Products

I am a firm believer in decent moisturizer, washing off your makeup before sleep and a good hair cut. All of which have been ingrained in me since I was a little girl. As much as I am a bit of a product whore, I don't always believe you need to spend a lot of money to look good and many of my staple products can be found at drug stores.


#1 Benefit's "Fake-up"

Rounding the top of this list is Benefit's "Fake up". This is a super hydrating concealer that promises not to cake in fine lines and last all day. It totally lives up to both of those statements. It is light weight and goes on smooth with no pulling (which is very important especially to delicate skin around the eyes). I am a shift worker and have very disrupted sleep habits, often going on very little to none. This concealer brightens my eyes, hides dark shadows and is hard to discern to even the most enquiring of eyes. No cakey, flakey mess to be seen! My previous favourite concealer has taken the back burner even though it is still a product worth investing in, fake-up takes the make-up cake.



#2 Josie Maran Light Oil

I know what you are thinking...Oil? For what? Well Josie Maran makes 100% pure argan oil products that are quickly becoming cult favourites. The "light" oil is an ultra light-weight oil that absorbs quickly and leaves my face looking flawless and dewy. I was highly skeptical but after doing a little research and taking a sample home for a test drive, I am hooked. Although I have been using the same moisturizer since I was barely a teenager, my skin has never looked brighter or felt softer. It hydrates without leaving any oily residue, it doesn't clog pores (my number one concern when I heard about face oil) and it has actually shown to make oily skin less oily. If you have very dry skin, you may want to try the original but my "normal" skin loves the lightweight. If you are still skeptical, pop on over to Sephora and ask for a sample.


#3 Volcanic ash Exfoliator by MAC

I am a lover of MAC makeup but have not bought into their skin care line, ceature of habit I suppose. My dear friend Janna who is also a lover of products gave me a sample of a black volcanic ash exfoliator to try that she was positively smitten with. Turns out it was MAC and turns out I LOVE it. It's a sugar scrub so you must work a little fast ('cause sugar melts in water) and I do find that you have to be very careful to rinse well, especially under your chin (it is very black and very streaky if not rinsed well). My face is sooooo soft after I use it! It is a little expensive; I use it only once a week alternating with cheapy and awesome St.Ives green tea exfoliator.



#4 Benefit's Watt'sUp

This highlighter is the bomb. I had been a big fan of High Beam by Benefit until I received a birthday sample of Watt's Up- amazing under my brows, corners of my eyes and anywhere else that needs highlighting. It blends easily and has just a hit of shimmer making it one of my go to products.


#5 EOS Mint lip balm

Although Carmex will always be my jam when it comes to lip balm, EOS mint is a sure fire runner up. It is smooth, easy to toss in your purse and the peppermint tingle feels wonderful on chapped lips that are trying to survive the east coast winter. I do however HATE the fruity flavoured ones because they not only smell sweet, they also taste sweet. Gag.



#6 Revlon Colorburst Lacquer Balm

Every single time I wear this in public, someone asks me what I have on my lips. I have been asked if it is MAC, YSL and even Bobbi Brown. For six bucks, I proudly exclaim what I am wearing, tell them all about how it lasts for hours and that the color I wear is called "Flirtatious". I whole heartedly feel this colour would look great on any skin tone- its a deep pink without being red, it goes on smooth, lasts for hours and doesn't dry up. Not to mention has a slight amount of sheen without really being glossy. Win-win!



#7 Sephora Creme Stain

I have been wearing this products for a couple of years now and own it in two red tones. It applies like a lip gloss- wet and with a sponge tipped applicator. This makes riming the edge of lips simple and hassle free. It dries matte and stays put all day- seriously all damn day. It is great for a night on the town and is just as great for rolling out of bed and looking put together with no effort. Red lips can do that, they can trick people into thinking you showered. Prime example- before Christmas, I rolled out of bed after working a night shift- slapped on a little and ran into MAC and Sephora looking to replace a lipstick I had finally used up. Two employees at MAC asked me what I had on (one even wrote it down...) and then three employees stopped me in Sephora to ask the same. All of which were shocked when I told them what it was. "Strawberry" is my favourite.


#8 Garnier Skin Renew BB Cream

Yes...a BB cream, womp womp. I have used tinted moisturizers for years and years. MAC, Benefit, Smashbox...almost all of the big brands with big fans. Out of all of those, this BB cream is my fav. It's hydrating and super light weight, with just a bit of coverage. I don't wear foundation and for the most part, this evens out my skin without feeling heavy and cakey. I use it on the daily often with "fake-up" and just a little bit of powder dusted on top for a flawless finish.



#8 Marcelle Liquid Dip-Pen Liner

I have been using liquid and gel liners for over ten years now. I LOVE them. Gel or creme liners are good (MAC-Fast track is great) but don't always give the defined line I am looking for. MAC liquid liners are all great but I find them hard to wash off and expensive. I hate the liners that are like felt tip markers (they are never dark enough, and they never work right). I prefer a firm- felt tipped end that you dip into the liner... Enter Marcelle's Liquid dip liner. Same packaging as MAC...identical....but easier to wash off and almost half the price. It says it is water proof...I generally don't do water proof anything but it washes off easily and lasts all day.



Happy testing everyone!
-m

1 comment:

  1. love it !! i am now addicted to the bb cream! xo

    ReplyDelete